The DESelect Search is a free application that makes it possible to easily search for all kinds of objects in Salesforce Marketing Cloud.
DESelect Search comes in 2 versions:
The Chrome extension does not work on its own and requires first installing the DESelect Search AppExchange Installed Package.
Salesforce is currently experiencing an issue with downloading any App from the Appexchange. You can download DESelect Search following the instructions below:
- Use this temporary link: https://mc.s50.exacttarget.com/cloud/login.html#app/Administration/InstalledPackages/28655f1f-8918-481f-80da-c1223ed859e9/install
- Replace the number 50 in the link above with the number you see in your SFMC login link (the stack number), you can see the highlighted part that needs to be replaced in the screenshot below.
- Install Search with the above-modified link.
DESelect Search for Chrome
Google Chrome permissions
Upon installing the Chrome extension, you may notice that DESelect Search requires permission to 'read and change site data'.
The reason these permissions are needed:
1) Reading site data: It needs to read the URL of your browser to detect if you're logged in to SFMC.
The Chrome extension is not reading any content from the page, and this permission is only for reading the HTML of the site you're visiting (so SFMC. It is not a permission to modify any actual data in your SFMC.
2) Changing site data: The Chrome extension is fully integrated with the SFMC UI. To be able to show the search field in the menu bar in SFMC, we need to modify the HTML of the page.
Marketing Cloud permissions
The DESelect Search in SFMC - Salesforce Marketing Cloud uses your current Salesforce Marketing Cloud session to perform searches using the Salesforce Marketing Cloud API.
Using the session token means that the Chrome extension can only work if you are currently logged in to Salesforce Marketing Cloud.
It also means the users' visibility is respected, one can never find things through DESelect Search the user would not be able to see otherwise.
The Chrome extension is an add-on of the DESelect Search AppExchange Installed Package and allows you to Search from any page in SFMC.
Note: DESelect Search Chrome extension does not store the access tokens, nor the search results. It just passes the search query through the Installed Package and returns the name and location of the results.
Our servers run in secure data centers with DigitalOcean with SOC II and ISO-27001 certifications. DESelect is ISO-27001 certified as well.
The Chrome extension doesn't look at any content.
For example: when you search for a Data Extension, DESelect Search in SFMC - Salesforce Marketing Cloud only returns the name and location of the Data Extension, it does not look at the data in a Data Extension.
DESelect Search for AppExchange
A detailed explanation of the security of the DESelect Search for AppExchange can be found on the DESelect Search Security Fact Sheet which can be found at https://deselect.com/security-and-data-protection/.
If you have any questions regarding the security of our applications, please email email@example.com and we'll be happy to provide clarification!