DESelect Segment helps you leverage all your SFMC data, not only by enabling marketers to create complex segments without typing a single word of SQL but also with other capabilities that you may not notice at first sight.
One of these hidden enablements is facilitating users in email personalization, reducing the dependency of AMPScript or SSJS, and making sure that marketers can use the out-of-the-box solutions of Salesforce Marketing Cloud.
Customize the Target Data Extension
Salesforce Marketing Cloud's out-of-the-box Content Blocks, add dynamic rules of personalization to your emails (like Dynamic Content and the personalization strings) but require that the fields driving the personalization are included in the Data Extension you will use to send the email.
If you used to work with Filtered Data Extensions you may have noticed that customizing the columns of the Target Data Extension is not possible, meaning that even for basic use cases, you will need to use AMPscript.
Luckily, with DESelect Segment you will be able to personalize the fields you want to add to the Target Data Extension, making sure that you will always be able to use the out-of-the-box Content Blocks.
Let's say that Deedee wants to create a Dynamic Content Block based on gender to show a different image for males and females.
In the current Data Model, Deedee has:
- Contact DE (with ID and Email, which is the DE that they will use to send the email campaign)
- Segmentation DE (with gender, birthday, loyalty points, and other segmentation fields)
Without DESelect Segment
Before getting DESelect Segment, Deedee would have to use an AMPscript block to perform a Lookup into the Segmentation DE to get the gender of the customer and personalize based on it.
With DESelect Segment
With DESelect Segment, Deedee can:
1. Create a new Data Extension combining the Contact DE and Segmentation DE, making sure it contains the information they need:
2. Now the Gender field is in the Target Data Extension, Deedee can use the Dynamic Content Block and they don't need to use AMPscript anymore!
Create dynamic personalization fields
Another common use case is to create new custom fields with personalization purposes, like:
- Different CTA links depending on the country of the contact
- Salutation field based on gender
- Different paths in the Journey based on a set of conditions
For all these use cases, you can create a Custom Field where you can set the different values you want based on a set of rules, instead of creating rules to calculate it in AMPscript.
This way, all complexity will state in the segmentation creation.
Deedee wants to send an email with a CTA to the store of the country of the customer. The URL of the store has this format: deselect.com/country_code/shop
Instead of using AMPscript to create the URL, Deedee is using the Dynamic Value Custom Field in DESelect Segment as follows:
They called the field CTA_Link, and now they can use it inside their email with a basic personalization string: %%CTA_Link%%.